The Secrets of Bioplastic
Bioplastic made with gelatin base is a renewable biological raw material fabricated with only organic matter. To make bioplastics you need a biopolymer for strength, a plasticizer for flexibility, a solvent for solubility and additives for aesthetic.
During our experimentation we discovered that bioplastic :
- can take any shape (volume, surface, sheet...)
- can have different performance by changing the dosages of water, gelatin and glycerol (elastic -> rigid)
- can be transparent & smooth or opaque & fluffy if you add air inside the mix
- can dissolve in the water (it is not water resistant)
- can be easily recycled and reused by warming it again
- don’t smell good (especially when you cook it, once dry the smell begins to fade)
- glues to wood, metal, cardboard but not on glass or plastic surface
- doesn’t resist the heat (never put bioplastic in the oven, it will melt !)
- if you create a large volume of bioplastic it will tend to mold
- it will shrink and change its shape while it dries (use a frame if you don't want it to lose it's shape)
Here the bioplastic recipe you can print at home : fabtextiles.org/wp-content/...